1. Types of Personal Information that Retailer Collects
Personal information is data that can be used to uniquely identify or contact a single person. For example, personal information can include your name in combination with your e-mail address, billing address, shipping address, phone number, or credit card information.
2. Purposes for Collecting Personal Data
We collect your personal information in an effort to enhance your customer experience and, as necessary, to administer our business. It allows us to provide you with better access to our products and services, with a particular focus on the items and programs that may be of most interest to you. For more information as to why we collect personal information, please see the section below entitled: "How Retailer Uses Personal Information".
Your personal information also allows us to communicate with you about special offers, promotions, and other marketing programs and news that may be of interest to you.
3. How Retailer Collects Personal Information
(a). Information that you provide to us
As a general matter, you can browse in our stores and on our websites without submitting your personal information to us. However, there are a number of circumstances in which you may need to provide us with your personal information. The most common of these circumstances include:
- Making a purchase or placing an order
- Creating an online account
- Submitting a customer review, a list, or other user-created content or participating in book clubs
- Posting a blog, or participating in other Retailer facilitated online interactive services
- Contacting customer service
For your convenience, we have provided a summary description of each of these circumstances below.
Making a purchase or placing an order
When you make a purchase or place an order in our stores or place an order online without an account, you may need to submit personal information to us.
Creating an online account
You can create a password-protected account to complete your online order, to purchase or download eBooks, digital magazines, digital newspapers, digital journals and other periodicals, blogs, other digital content ("Digital Content") or the Blio e-Reader software, to save items to an electronic shopping cart, or to join a Retailer facilitated online interactive service. To create any of these accounts, we will ask you to provide us with personal information. If you use your online account to make a purchase or download, we will use the personal information stored in your account and/or require you to input additional personal information, such as credit card information, to complete your order or download.
Submitting a customer review, list, blog posting, or other user-created content, participating in a book club, or participating in some other Retailer facilitated online interactive service
You may choose to submit an online customer review, list, blog posting, or other user-created content, participate in online book clubs, or participate in some other Retailer facilitated online interactive service. Because any information you choose to post will be available on the Internet, we can make no assurances that others will not use, or misuse, that information.
Contacting Customer Service
When you contact customer service, we may ask you to provide, or confirm, personal information so that we can better serve you.
(b) Information automatically collected
There are circumstances in which we automatically receive and collect information from you. The most common sources of this information include:
- Pixel tags or GIFs
- Business partners, contractors, shared databases, and other third parties
For your convenience, we have provided a summary description of each of these circumstances below.
Information automatically collected when you visit our websites
When you visit our websites or online retail stores, we automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website. For example, we may receive and collect: the name of the domain and host from which you access the Internet; the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the computer you are using; the date and time you access our site; and the Internet address of the website from which you linked directly to our site. We use this information to monitor the usage of our websites and online retail stores and as necessary for our business. This information does not include personal information.
Information collected using cookies
Browsers are typically set to create cookies automatically. You can choose to have your browser notify you when cookies are being written to your computer or accessed, or you can disable cookies entirely. If you disable cookies, however, you will not be able to place items in an online shopping cart, and therefore you will not be able to place an order with us online. Also, by not using cookies, some Retailer website features and services may not function properly.
Information regarding emails sent to you collected using pixel tags or clear GIFs
To help us understand the effectiveness of certain of our communications and marketing efforts, we may use "message format" and "message open" sensing technologies that use pixel tags or clear GIFs (which are also called web beacons). These technologies allow us to know if your e-mail program is able to accept HTML e-mails and, if it is, to: (1) send you e-mails in that format; and (2) determine if you have opened our e-mail messages.
Information collected from outside sources
We may periodically collect personal information and other information about you from business partners, contractors and other third parties. This includes, but is not limited to, instances in which you affirmatively authorize third parties to provide us with information.
Information collected from visitors from outside the United States
If you are visiting Retailer’s websites or online retail stores from outside the United States and provide us with personal information, please note that your personal information will be transferred, stored and processed within the United States. The data protection laws in the United States may not be as comprehensive as those in your country. By doing business or interacting with Retailer, you are consenting to the transfer of your personal information to facilities located in the United States and other facility locations selected by Retailer.
4. How Retailer Uses Personal Information
Retailer uses your personal information to provide you with an enhanced customer experience on and through our websites and online retail stores, as necessary, to administer our business. For example, we use your personal information to:
- Provide you with products and services and information and display associated content and advertising;
- Provide customer service;
- Conduct research and perform analysis in order to measure, maintain, protect, develop and improve our products and services;
- Administer sweepstakes, contests, promotions or surveys;
- Communicate with you about special offers, events, or new products or services that may be of interest to you;
- Customize and enhance our websites and advertising;
- Make communications necessary to notify you regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues; and
- Manage our business.
5. Parties With Whom Retailer Shares Personal Information
Retailer DOES NOT SELL OR RENT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES.
Retailer shares your personal information with:
- Other entities owned by Retailer. Some of our customers purchase items from us on more than one website or online retail stores. We share your personal information within the Retailer enterprise to improve your shopping or browsing experience at multiple Retailer operated websites and online retail stores.
- Service providers, subcontractors and agents who perform services on our behalf. We provide personal information to third party service providers, subcontractors, and agents that work under contract on our behalf to provide certain services. These third parties do not have the right to use personal information we provide to them in any way that is not authorized by Retailer. They are contractually obligated to use such information only as necessary to assist us and to maintain the confidentiality and security of such information.
- Third party providers of products and services. These are third parties that provide products and services you may purchase or request from or through Retailer (e.g., parties performing order fulfillment and content providers). These third parties do not have the right to use personal information we provide to them in any way that is not authorized by Retailer.
- In connection with some magazine or newspaper subscriptions and single issue purchases of magazines or newspapers placed on Retailer’s websites and online retail stores, in order to complete your transaction, we may need to forward your name, magazine or newspaper order, email address, and shipping or billing address to our content providers. The content providers will share your magazine or newspaper order information as well as your name and address, or name and e-mail and shipping or billing addresses with the magazine or newspaper publisher and magazine or newspaper circulation auditors. Magazine and newspaper publishers may use this information to fulfill your order and for other purposes. Your credit card information will not be shared with them.
- Credit Card Companies. Credit card transactions are handled by third party financial institutions and their vendors and contractors who receive credit card numbers and other personal information from us to verify the credit card numbers and process transactions.
- Law enforcement officials and as required by law. Retailer may release personal information to third parties when we determine, in our judgment, that it is necessary to (a) comply with the law, regulation, legal process, or enforceable governmental request; (b) enforce or apply the terms of any of our policies or user agreements; or (c) protect the rights, property or safety of Retailer, our employees, our customers, users, or others.
6. How Retailer Secures Personal Information
We take significant and appropriate security measures, including physical, technological and procedural measures, to help to safeguard your personal information and to prevent unauthorized access and disclosure. In addition, we use industry-standard technology, such as firewalls and encryption in the transmission of certain sensitive personal information, designed to prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to your personal information, and, as technology develops, we intend to take additional measures to improve security.
While we are focused on the security of your personal information and follow strict standards, processes and procedures that are designed to protect your personal information, we cannot promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information will remain secure in all circumstances.
7. How You can Manage Retailer’s Promotional Communications Directed to You
When you interact with Retailer in certain ways, you may be eligible to receive certain marketing-related and promotional communications as well as special offers (collectively "Promotional Communications") from Retailer that may include advertisements from third parties. The most common of these circumstances include:
- Making a purchase or download or placing an order
- Creating an online account
- Joining an online interactive service
- Signing up with websites and online retail stores operated by Retailer
- Entering a sweepstakes or a contest
If, at any time, you wish to no longer receive Promotional Communications from Retailer, please follow contact Retailer customer service firstname.lastname@example.org
Even if you opt-out of receiving Promotional Communications, you may continue to receive e-mails relating to order confirmations, back order notifications, membership information, and/or other business-related communications. Although the primary purpose of these emails is not to provide you with promotional material, they may contain within them some promotional material.
Note for Interactive Service Users
By participating in an online interactive service facilitated by Retailer, and using Retailer's various interactive offerings, including the submission of customer reviews, you agree to receive communications from Retailer, other users, and moderators related to the provision of these services.
8. Whom You may Contact if You Have Questions or Concerns
Our products and services are marketed for and directed towards purchase by adults or with the consent of adults. Individuals under the age of 18 ("Minors") are not permitted to use Retailer websites and online retail stores without the supervision of a parent or legal guardian. Furthermore, we do not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from children under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register for an online account or to post personal information on our websites. Should we learn that someone under the age of 13 has provided any personal information to or on any of the Retailer websites or online retail stores, we will remove that information as soon as possible.